Monday, August 15, 2011

Cliff Hanger, hanging from a cliff.

(If you’ve watched much of the show ‘In Between the Lions’ you’ll get the title.)  aka Klettersteig Kandersteg. 

So, this is what Brett and I did on Saturday.  We took this mountain:

IMAG0009

and we conquered it!!!!

We went with our very good friends Beat and Damaris (I almost wrote ‘und’ instead of ‘and’—how German am I!).  We hitched ourselves up to some ropes, hitched our ropes to the cable, started with a little bit of ladders,

IMAG0011 IMAG0012

but mainly just pulled ourselves straight up the cliff with sheer awesomeness (and the help of the cable and rebar positioned everywhere you might need it).  That’s me (with a little bit of cropping so you don’t see a nice big view of my bottom):

IMAG0013

That’s Brett:

IMAG0014 

That’s Beat just hanging around and Damaris.

IMAG0016 

IMAG0017 

It was an absolutely beautiful day, and the view was AMAZING.  I have to say though, that while I’m grateful for these pictures from Brett’s phone, they aren’t quite as good as my camera could have done.  And also Brett got annoyed with how often I wanted to take pictures, but seriously, there were so many times I looked down at Brett climbing up vertical rock and I wanted to take a picture, but I had to bite my tongue. 

IMAG0018

There were also two bridges crossing the waterfall/gorge.  LOVED them.

IMAG0019

IMAG0020 

That’s me and Damaris.  I don’t know why the next pictures turned out fuzzyish.

IMAG0021

IMAG0022

IMAG0023 

There are at least five people climbing along this cliff.  Can you find them?

IMAG0025

IMAG0026

IMAG0027

The other bridge.

IMAG0028

It was so cool.

IMAG0029 

At the top—we made it!!!  (It was about a 3-hour climb.)

IMAG0030

IMAG0032 

IMAG0033

We had to go back over the edge to pose these pictures of us coming up the final bit.  (Beat on the left, and me.)

IMAG0034 IMAG0035

In the words of a dude from this blog:

It’s 350 metres of vertical delight at grade K4-Schwer with long peg-traverses, wire Nepalese Bridges crossing twice over the great waterfall that drops its entire length.  Several delicious overhangs are rigged with spiral ladders to take the sting out of the tail, but still keep your heart pounding to the top. Even the final 150 metre walk to the Allmenalp Restaurant through pine forest and pasture is wonderful in July,with  its fields of wildflowers and two fully grown Lama staring snootily at you as you walk and unwind.  Make no mistake, this is a tough and demanding climb, true to its grade.

Please, please, watch this video because it shows exactly what we did.  In fact, Brett was just going to go with Beat, and then I was looking up where they were going and I found this video and promptly invited myself along and got a babysitter for the kids.  It was awesome.  (I have mentioned before I like heights, right?)  Brett didn’t like it as much as me.  He’s not sure if he’ll do more climbing like this.  But it was a great day.

I just have to post a few more pictures found on the internet because mine weren’t the best:

image

image

image

image

(I actually was wanting to take a picture just like this one of my foot, but I didn’t want to bother Brett to get his phone for me again.)

image

The end.

4 comments:

Steve and Katrina said...

So at first I thought this looked cool and fun. Then I watched the video and decided it looked terrifying. The video made me not want to do this:) Guess I'm not as daring and awesome as you. Way to go Kayli!!

and just out of curiosity, how do you leave Orrin for so long? Does he take a bottle?

Lynn said...

Nope. Not for me! Lost all my sense of fearlessness the second I became a mom. Ugh!

Good for you!!!

Kami said...

That looks AMAZING!!! I so want to do it! I love heights too. When We were at the ropes course the one worker there was impressed at how swiftly and easily i climbed up to the zipcord. It was 40 ft up I think. Anyway, that's no where close to a mountain. But our husbands are the same too. Leo didn't like climbing up the things at the ropes course, but I did. Jumping was another matter entirely though! Sweet.

emily ballard said...

Ummmm. I think I need to come visit you.

And I think we need to be friends. Hope it's okay if I add you to my blog roll so I can keep reading about your adventures?

Related Posts with Thumbnails