Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Visitor

So my friend Katrina (the talented lady who made my kids the dresses and bow-ties) has a little sister who has been studying in Italy this summer, and she had a chance to come  see just a little bit of Switzerland and stay with us.  It was really great- and I’m not just saying that because she did the dishes for me!

So, I sent Kayanna the video of the mountain climb we did, and she really wanted to do it, and that made me happy cause I wanted to do it again too!  So Brett was a nicey and stayed with the kids and hiked with them while Kayanna and I conquered the mountain.  (And to my delight, Kayanna brought along her camera so we traded it back and forth and got some cool pictures.  Yahoo!)

IMG_5187           

IMG_5288

At the beginning there was a big group in front of us going really REALLY slow, and I thought that it would be terrible (there is no going around, you just wait), but they sped up a bit, and then we got in front of them at the resting spot mid-way, and then it was much better.

IMG_5190

IMG_5199

IMG_5200

IMG_5205

IMG_5211

IMG_5214

IMG_5215

IMG_5235

IMG_5243

IMG_5244

IMG_5246

Then we hiked back down.  So, three hours climbing up, and about that much hiking back down.  We were EXHAUSTED. 

IMG_5268 IMG_5277  IMG_5279IMG_5283

And then we went to Marzili and let the kids play in the pool and we floated down the Aare, which is SO SO SO SOOOO Fantastic, but it’s hard to describe how fantastic it is – it’s really something that has to be experienced to know just how refreshing and wonderful it is. 

On Sunday we went to church and then we had Raclette for dinner.  Kayanna took a picture of our Raclette cooker-thing, so I thought I’d show.  We got it at a second-hand store, and I must say it’s pretty sweet.

IMG_5295

IMG_5296

Kayanna wanted a picture by the cow (who wouldn’t?) and so I got one of myself too.

IMG_5304

Then Brett made me a birthday treat and the kids sang to me.  It is neat that Kayanna was there to snap a few pictures so that ALL of us are in it.   Thanks Kayanna!

IMGP2967

IMGP2968

Then we did a quick trip to the temple (because it was getting late and the kids needed to go to bed) and walked around a bit.

IMG_5313

IMG_5319 

IMG_5333

It was a great weekend and I had a ton of fun climbing the mountain, swimming in the Aare, speaking American, having someone else for my kids to maul, and just hanging with  a cool girl.  :)

8 comments:

Alyse and Carlos said...

Kayli, you are an animal! Those pictures are unreal! Soooo gorgeous! And Carlos and I have been craving Raclette, so we're going to attempt our own this week (sans the cool cooker-thing). I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Megan said...

That looks soo cool - I am going to do that when I come visit you!!!

Steve and Katrina said...

Oh, I'm so jealous my sister got to visit you. How unfair. I'm glad you had a good time. Thank you so much for taking her in and taking time to do stuff with her. Especially since it was your birthday! Happy Birthday Kayli!

Andrea said...

I would never do that.

PS You are supposed to blow out the candles BEFORE you eat half the treat. Just an FYI. You like to live on the edge in so many ways.

Missy said...

I have never done that kind of climbing before, it looks fun and SCARY! Not for someone afraid of heights.

Sarah Harward said...

I read this post yesterday. Then last night I had a dream that Steven and I had to go to Swizerland for something and decided to come visit you. We weren't going to be there for about a year, so I decided to take my post baby weight loss seriously (you know, she is 9 months old!) so I could be skinny to do all those fun things I see on your blog while we were visiting. I was kind of bummed when I woke up and realized we weren't heading to Swizerland any time soon, but I am motivated to start losing this weight now!!

Caron said...

Hi Kayli! I hope you don't mind that I spy on your blog! Thank you sooooooo much for hosting KayAnna and treating her to so much fun! That was super sweet of you and your family-which is, by the way, the cutest family around (after all my grandkids, that is). And you are more than welcome to visit me in Maine any time you want! Love, Katrina and KayAnna's Mom

Sarah Harrington said...

You are such a daredevil! Look at you hanging off the side of that mountain like it ain't no big thing. Glad you had a fun time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails